Rather than add users manually one at a time, you can add many users in a bulk import. To do this, you create a CSV (comma separated values) file that contains the user's data in the order that we have show in the sample spread sheet. Aside from the essential user data, such as email address and phone number, you can set user roles, define privileges, and add users to a Dept./Group and Location.
You can use bulk import to add new users, replace existing user information data, add new data, or replace existing organisation data.
Only administrators can bulk import users and not ordinary users.
Limitations of bulk importing users
You can import a core set of data about users and organisational structure. For example, using bulk import, you can import the user data described in the table below (Creating the CSV user import date file); however you cannot import the user's photo.
There are also the following limitations to bulk importing:
- The import CSV data file must contain no more than 2000 rows of data (one row for the header and the rest for the user data).
- You can only import one CSV file of 2000 or fewer rows of data per hour. Imports are queued and run once an hour. Therefore, if you've got more than 1999 users to import, you need to create separate files for each batch and import them hours apart.
Creating the CSV user import data file
If you use Locations, Dept./Groups in your Crises Control, you can bulk import a list of users using by populating the imports template CSV files provided. You must have the Locations, Dept./Groups created before you import the users that will be added to them.
The first row of the template file is the header row and contains the fields listed in the table below. You must include the header row, using all the fields and in the order they are listed below, even if you're not importing that data. In other words, you can have empty columns of data, but you must include all the header row fields.
The file must be properly formatted CSV and saved using UTF-8 character encoding.
The following table lists the fields that you can include in the file:
- First Name
- Last Name
- Email (must be a valid email address)
- Mobile (this must include the country code e.g. +44 12345551212)
- User Role (choose one of the following; Admin, Key Holder or Staff)
- Department (Dept./Group set up name in Crises Control)
- Location Name (Location setup in Crises Control)
- Location Address (e.g.19 Heather Park Drive, Town, City, County, Post Code)
- Security (insert Admin for administrators only)